Monday, March 8, 2010

a few of our favourite things

Libby - Wellington's weather was uncharacteristically good this weekend - perfect for a gelato in the sun. Sarah was here for the weekend and I met her and her friends at Kaffe Eis at the waterfront. I usually choose one of the milk-based flavours - gingerbread is especially good but on Saturday I had mixed berry. It's my new favourite - it tasted a little bit like the jelly in jelly-tip ice creams but made from real fruit (rather than fake raspberry flavouring). It was so good I had another one on Sunday night at the Courtenay Place store. The second one wasn't quite as berry-ish as the one I enjoyed the day before but still pretty good. It's VERY hard to walk past a Kaffe Eis without stopping for gelato.



Becs - As late summer (sadly) approaches the garden has been full of produce to enjoy, including an abundance of scarlet runner beans. Scarlet runners can be quite large and rather tough, so I think the nicest way to prepare them is to slice them super thin, briefly boil in heavily salted water, and toss through a knob of butter to serve. The challenge is slicing the beans finely enough, and I find the best way is to use an old fashioned bean slicer, like the one above that has been kindly passed on to me by my Grandma. It makes quick work of slicing beans, and guarantees each will be cut into perfect slivers, all the same thickness, so they cook evenly. When my sisters and I were little we used to love taking turns to slice the beans for dinner with this wee gadget. I haven't seen any like this in the shops but they seem to pop up on Trademe now and then.




Miriam - On Saturday, my friends Bridget, Sally and I had an impromptu picnic lunch. We went to Sabato to pick up some supplies and came across Aroha sparkling elderflower & rhubarb. I have been a fan of the Aroha elderflower drinks for quite some time, but had never tried the rhubarb flavour. We each got a bottle and were in agreement that it was lovely and refreshing. I couldn't really taste the rhubarb, but loved the rose colour it gave the drink and as Bridget pointed out, it did have a subtle rhubarb fragrance. At $4.50 for a 330ml bottle it's quite pricey but definitely a lovely wee treat on a hot day.

1 comment:

  1. I do wish I had one in my school bag to have with my packed lunch today.....maybe next week for a special treat! xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...