Monday, July 12, 2010

a few of our favourite things

Becs: One upside to winter is comfort food, and I am enjoying the veges the cold weather brings with it. Last week we roasted some red and yellow yams, parsnips and baby carrots with rosemary, black sesame seeds and olive oil, tossing through a little runny honey at the end. Another favourite is jerusalem artichokes, which are lovely peeled, sliced and baked in a gratin with sauteed leeks and cream.


Libby: This Kenwood Chef cake mixer belonged to my Nanny and is currently in my care. Judging by the orange and brown colour scheme (which complements my brown veneer kitchen perfectly), Nanny bought it in 1970s, which makes it 30+ years old! But it's a very solid machine and has plenty of life left in it. I wonder if today's Kenwood mixers will still be going strong in thirty years time?




Miriam: A couple of years ago, Anne Ball and I went halves in a box (of 500) of these bags from Detpak. They are so handy for filling with wee treats and at about 42 cents each, it's quite economical. I didn't think I'd ever get through my share of 250, but I've made quite a dent in them and am now down to my last 50.

8 comments:

  1. we really miss yams, we have tried everywhere and can't get them here even at the massive fruit & vege markets ..... something we always have when we come home for a winter visit :) (along with pixie caramels and sizzlers !!)

    ReplyDelete
  2. oh sizzlers...i am quite partial to the double cheese. So fake but so tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Libby, I love the mixer! That is fantastic - the shade of orange is more vibrant than I could possibly have imagined!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Miriam I wish you had mentioned Anne Ball's name instead of saying 'a friend's mum'. And is that the cookie sandwiches inside the bag?!?

    ReplyDelete
  5. Natalie, I have amended my post to say Anne Ball! Yes it is the cookie sandwiches inside the bag (No you didn't miss out on eating them this weekend - I took the photo when I made them a few weeks ago). xx

    ReplyDelete
  6. Becs, just love J. Artichokes in soup, will have to try them in a bake, yum......Those bags are fab,perfect for treat gifts. I suggested at one of my cooking classes recently a tin of duck fat would be a perfect "hostess" gift (we were doing roast spuds at the time....!) they looked at me like I was nuts, a sweet wee bag filled with treats might be better appreciated....!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oooh, aside from the fantastically 1970s colours of that cake mixer, I'm loving that chunky silhouette!

    I also like the idea of black sesame seeds with roast veg - it sounds quite intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Delightful post! And that cake mixer..... is too glorious.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...