Thursday, July 8, 2010

Thursday baking - ginger crunch

As we bake our way through A Treasury of New Zealand Baking


I'm not sure if A Treasury of New Zealand Baking has a lot of recipes for brown coloured food or if I am just attracted to the recipes for brown coloured food but I feel like almost everything I've made from the book has been brown! And with two shades of brown this ginger crunch is no exception!

This Jo Seager recipe from the book is for wholemeal ginger crunch but I didn't have any wholemeal flour so used plain flour, making this slice almost identical to the Takaka Oaty Ginger Crunch that we often make. I also left out the crystallised ginger because I didn't have any (because I don't like it)... and I didn't drizzle with melted chocolate as stated in the recipe as prefer it plain. So as it turns out I really just made Takaka Oaty Ginger Crunch!

I left the base in the oven too long so it was overcooked and hard on the teeth (even for ginger crunch). I had planned to take this to work for morning tea but wasn't going to out of fear of breaking my colleagues teeth (and ruining my reputation as a baker). When I popped home at lunchtime it had softened up a little so I took it in for an afternoon treat.

Week 16 - (Wholemeal) ginger crunch (Jo Seager)

Base
150 g butter
2 tablespoons golden syrup
3/4 cup brown sugar
3/4 cup coconut
1 1/2 cups rolled oats
3/4 cup flour
1 1/2 teaspoons baking powder
1 1/2 teaspoons ground ginger

Preheat oven to 180 degrees Celsius.

Melt butter, golden syrup and brown sugar over a low heat. Mix the dry ingredients in a bowl and pour in melted ingredients. Mix well and press into a lined 20 x 30cm slice tin.

Bake for 20 minutes.


Icing
4 tablespoons butter
8 tablespoons icing sugar
4 teaspoons golden syrup
2 teaspoons ground ginger

Melt butter and golden syrup, beat in ginger and icing sugar. Pour over still-warm base.

Slice into small squares when cold. (I wait until the next day if possible).

5 comments:

  1. i love ginger crunch, its one of my favs :) i make an oaty one too, delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  2. looks a bit healthier than my edmonds cookbook version !!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh, I love ginger crunch! I don't think it really needs chocolate on top though. And I prefer to leave out crystallised ginger too...sometimes it's hard to stick to recipes :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I love the base:topping ratio on these - the base is my favourite part about ginger crunch especially as it lends itself so easily to variation. This Takaka Oaty Ginger Crunch you speak of sounds delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  5. your icing looks perfect and sliced beautifully...mine always cracks, maybe too much icing sugar?

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...