Thursday, June 30, 2011

thursday baking - scottish oatcakes


This is one of my all-time favourite recipes, and I think there is nothing nicer with cheese. I have tried various oatcake recipes but always come back to this one. It originally came from a cafe I used to cook at that served them on their platters.  Roll them out thinner for a crispy oatcake or a bit thicker if you like a denser crumbly texture, I like them both ways.

Scottish oatcakes - makes 2 full trays, about 30ish

1 1/2 c rolled oats
1 c flour
2 tbsp bran
2 tbsp brown sugar
1 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp salt

Combine all of the above ingredients in a food processor.  Add 125g butter and mix until it forms fine crumbs.  Add 5-6 tbsp milk, or enough to bind the dough together when you pulse the machine.  Wrap in gladwrap and chill until firm enough to work with.  Roll out, cut into shapes and bake at 180c for 10-15  minutes, I flip them over halfway through baking so they brown evenly on top and bottom.

4 comments:

  1. Can't wait to try this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That cheese plate looks so lovely! Also the oatcake recipe looks amazingly healthy, which is always a bonus.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know I'm Scottish, living in NZ, and I have seen more oatcakes made here than back home. I'm ashamed to say I've never tried making them but seeing and trying home-made versions I'd have to say I should really have a go!

    ReplyDelete
  4. They sound delicious - can imagine how good thenutty flavour of the oats and bran with the goodness of the butter and brown sugar would be.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...