Monday, October 17, 2011

a few of our favourite things...


Libby: Becs picked up three of these cast aluminium gem irons at a local church garage sale for an amazing $1 each! She had first pick at some incredible bargains as she was invited to the sale "preview"!

One tray travelled up to Wellington with Mum and Dad over the weekend and I tried them out on Sunday afternoon. Those sturdy little logs in the background are my first attempt at ginger gems - I was working from an old Edmond's cookbook recipe and instructions were scant so I wasn't quite as light-handed with the mixture as I should have been. My gems were a little on the tough side. Gems are quick and reasonably economical to whip up so I'll give it another go soon to work on my technique.

Miriam: I've been a bit remiss with my favourite things lately. But that's not because I don't have favourite things. In fact, most nights before going to sleep I try to reflect on my 3 favourite things of the day (I exempt food from this activity, as otherwise breakfast, lunch and dinner would have it covered). Research shows doing this exercise every day increases happiness. Click here if you want some instructions, then give it a go and see if you notice a difference.

2 comments:

  1. So jealous! It is my dream to come across gem irons at an op shop or garage sale!!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I love ginger gems. My Aunty is always whipping up the most beautiful little gems. I might have to come to Welly for some. I wonder if they will travel well to Raro. xx

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...