Sunday, February 19, 2012

Buttermilk scones for morning tea



I bought a litre of Karikaas buttermilk with the intention of making pancakes this weekend. It didn't happen but instead I made these buttermilk scones with a lovely, tender crumb. We ate them while still warm from the oven with softly whipped cream, lemon curd and the company of my Aunty and her husband.

This recipe makes 18-20 scones which was more than I needed so in hindsight I should have halved it. I'll give the full amount and leave it up to you. It's based on a recipe from one of my most used baking books - Mix & Bake by Belinda Jeffery - though my scones looked flat and biscuit-like and not at all like Belinda's well-risen beauties. Delicious if a little compact!

4 cups self-raising flour
160g cold butter, cubed
500mls buttermilk
1/4 cup caster sugar
1 tsp salt

Place the flour and butter in the food processor bowl and pulse to "rub" in the butter (do this by hand if you prefer). Tip into a large bowl and use a whisk to incorporate sugar and salt. Make a well in the dry ingredients and add in buttermilk. Mix until the flour is well moistened then tip out onto a floured bench and knead lightly into a 4-5cm high mound. Use a scone cutter to cut into rounds and place close together on a heavy, baking-paper lined tray.

Bake at 200 degrees Celsius for 20 minutes, by which time they will be risen and golden. Remove from oven and wrap in your best, clean teatowel. Leave to sit for five minutes then serve.




3 comments:

  1. Fresh scones with cream and curd...bliss!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lovely! Actually, I have a question, does buttermilk ever go off? I have half a carton lurking in my fridge and it still seems ok...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Those look amazing! I will have to make some to eat with the cream fraiche and lemon curd I have in the fridge.

    ReplyDelete

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...